The evening of the day we discovered the rabbits, we found that Rabbit #1 (now called Frodo) was still at the side of the house. Rabbit #4 (now called Morwen) poked her head out of the little burrow and looked at us. She looks like you'd imagine a healthy rabbit should look: clear, bright eyes, with nice-looking fur.
We hoped Mama would come back in the night, to take care of her. We also hoped that Frodo would make it back to find Mama. As I've said, there are hawks and owls!
No sign of any rabbits, yesterday.
Today, we looked around the garden and noticed a gap in the fur that is covering the burrow. Morwen's head was visible. She even glanced up at us a few times. It would appear that all is well with her, at least. It seems as if she must be getting her nightly attention from her mother. It really seemed as if those other rabbits were too young to be out and about . . . but, I don't know anything about rabbits, so perhaps I'm wrong.
No sign of Frodo. He's either gone or deeper in their hole in the ground.
2 comments:
yikes! you've got quite an episode of wild kingdom right in your backyard. i'm sorry that not all the rabbits survived...did the dead babies really gross you out that much? it's the circle of life man. (ha ha ha)
I love to see them live but.....dead??? I would have cried!
Post a Comment